The Asia-Pacific Network for Moral Education
Ninth Annual Conference
24-27 October 2014
Fudan University, Shanghai, China
Making Moral Education Work: Tradition and Innovation in the Asia-Pacific
Welcome to the website of the 9th annual APNME international conference on moral education, to be held in Shanghai, China from 24-27 October 2014!
We extend a very warm invitation to participate in the 2104 APNME annual conference, which will be held at Fudan University, one of the most prestigious universities in China.
Who is this conference for?
- Teachers in schools and early-childhood educators who care about fostering moral values in what they teach and how they teach;
- Teacher-educators, who work with pre-service and in-service teachers and who appreciate the importance of moral values as a foundation for education;
- School counsellors, whose work brings them face to face with children and parents who are experiencing difficulties at school and at home;
- School administrators and policy-makers who recognise the importance of values as a foundation for education, both nationally and regionally; and
- Educators from international and non-governmental organisations and associations, who foster values in their work, in communities and individuals.
So, this conference is not only relevant to teachers who are directly involved in moral education, either at school or university level. Rather it provides a forum for all who care about the place and dissemination of values in education. This may be through the curriculum, implicitly or explicitly, or through a concern to foster the idea that education itself is a values-based endeavour.
The conference is also keen to encourage cross-disciplinary engagement, across school subject specialities of science, humanities, social studies and the arts, and between those with different academic backgrounds.
The conference aims to provide an opportunity to:
- Increase understanding and knowledge of concepts and practices of moral, values, citizenship and character education, and their application and development in the Asia-Pacific;
- Promote and provide a forum for regional, national and local networking, collaboration and the exchange of ideas and perspectives in relation to moral education through interdisciplinary and intercultural dialogue;
- Disseminate research findings on moral education approaches, projects and practices in the Asia-Pacific;
- Stimulate thinking and cooperative action in relation to moral education and re-orient, deepen and broaden horizons for moral education for the benefit of society in the years ahead;
- Allow participants a glimpse of the practice of moral education in China and its context through a school visit and the opportunity for cultural activities.
Bring your ideas and experience and join the discussion. We look forward to warmly welcoming you to Shanghai!
The Conference Organising Committee